Morningstar RSC (EIA-485 to serial)
The Ground Fault Protection Device (GFPD) products are built to be both off-grid and on-grid PV safety devices. The GFPD is available in models, GFPD-150V & GFPD-600V, to support 150V and 600V PV system breaker stacks.
Morningstar’s GFPD increases safety and design flexibility in off-grid and on-grid PV systems. Ground fault protection is used in electrical systems to prevent current from following any unintended paths during a ground fault. It is critical to detect any stray current and to interrupt (break) the circuit until safe operation can be restored. A current imbalance between the conductors of a circuit indicates a ground fault. Morningstar’s GFPD will detect this condition and break the circuit on both the positive and negative legs. Disconnecting both poles ensures interruption of the ground fault current.
Features & Benefits
- Works like a traditional AC GFI.
- Maintains the integrity of earth bond for battery and loads.
- Trips at lower fault current with greater accuracy.
- Breaks both conductors in the faulted circuit and completely isolates PV source circuits.
- Does not require an extra warning label at the battery as per U.S. National Electric Code requirements.
- Provides design flexibility to meet a wide range of configurations:
- Positive and negative ground.
- Large and small arrays.
- Makes it easier to locate and troubleshoot ground faults.
- Is powered via the PV system’s battery.
- Is equipped with both visual and audible alarms.
- Is built to support both single controller and multiple controllers systems:
- When the earth bond is not broken Morningstar’s GFPD will only shut off affected controller(s).
- All loads will continue to operate safely with the battery remaining bonded to ground.
- Multiple controllers and GFPDs can be added on an as-needed basis.